Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Evrything I Need to No I Lernt in Skool

I got schooled, so to speak, today at lunch by my co-workers. I found out exactly how far behind I already am on planning for Cooper's scholastic career. I learned I really need to be picking houses according to the best school districts so I can participate in the lottery to get to send my kid to a charter school or a magnet school. I can focus his educational goals on liberal arts type programs with an emphasis on language, including a school that has a curriculum of both Mandarin Chinese and Arabic, with the goal of a tri-lingual child. Or the schools that focus on medicine, math and technology, or how about pre-law. Oh and this is not just at the high school level, nooooo, these important decisions need to be made for enrollment in one of these programs at the kindergarten level. Not only that but I also learned about the pre-school programs I really need to be considering. One co-worker told me about her grandaughter's pre-school that has an extensive waiting list, a 5K annual tuition, and a ten-step application process that includes comprehensive testing of the child, a two hour interview, and a separate interview to evaluate the parents (the parents?? oh, we are soooooo screwed).
What ever happened to reedin', ritin', and rithmatic (and I really don't know how to spell that one-case in point for specialized education).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know your kid will be smart if he just attends regular school too. He has intellegant(sp, see me not to bright) parents. You do not need to send your kid to the money hungry schools. If you want him to learn more than one language , learn them together. He will be a smart kid no matter what. Please tell me you arent stressing over this...

Gina, Brandon, and Cooper said...

I really am not stressing, I thought it was pretty funny.

shawnae said...

Yes Gina, Cooper has no choice but to be smart...I mean he has generations of smart on his side. Dick, Me, you, and a little of Gloria and Brandon too. No chance the kid will not be brilliant (spelling!!!!!). Oh, and why cant you teach him pig latin at home?