Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wow, I made that??


So I know I had been preggers for 9 mo., but it was still a huge surprise to have a baby. The whole birthing process was interesting to say the least. I had been in labor for 4 days and had already been to L&D once when I started having some serious contractions on Tuesday, August 12th. But I didn't want to be the girl who cried labor (again), so I just hung out and waited. I did take a really long bath and read a good book (the Twilight series, super good even if they are for teenagers...but hey it's not like I am reading Judy Blume:) So by the time I got out of the bath my water promptly broke. Brandon was working and it took him forever to get home so I was pretty freaked out to have a baby at home and by myself. Brandon finally made it home and we got to the hospital 2 hours after my water had broke (by then I was in VERY active labor and ready to claw some eyes out). I immediately asked for drugs (Brandon later said this embarrassed him--yes he was vying for some painful punishment later).

My parents came 20 minutes later (I think they drove 120 from Burley) and I was picturing a nice quiet, intimate birth. But I had a party instead. Jamie showed up with a cooler of treats and became our official video recorder. Jerica came and took pictures (of what I have been scared to ask), and Lisa came with treats (for herself) and took a chair down south to watch the entire show. I kind of felt like a circus freak and I apparently could have made some cash if I would have charged admission. But it ended up being really fun and I was glad all my friends crashed the event-everyone was super supportive and they were great coaches and took turns holding up various parts of my anatomy (doula? who needs a doula??)

Cooper made his entrance at 9:12 p.m. (we had come into the hospital at 5:00 p.m.) weighing 8lbs 7 oz and was 19.5 inches long. I also was missing my own Dr. who (of course) was on vacation, so instead we had this fun substitute Dr. that looked and sounded like a So-Cal surfer. Throughout the birth, he referred to things being awesome, killer, sweet, and as Cooper was getting ready for his entrance-he actually told me he was ready for the 'money push'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing everything Gina! You write well and I can totally picture how the labor and delivery was. He is so adorable!

tickledpinktreats said...

Sorry I crashed your day, if you feel better I didnt know I was gonna be in there, it kinda happened really fast. So I pulled out my camera and took some pics :)

tickledpinktreats said...

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE READY TO SEE YOUR DELIVERY PICS,